ico-D the International Council of Design
ico-D is a non-governmental international voice for design.
ico-D promotes design excellence and upholds the importance of design as a key medium for progressive social change.
The Council’s vision, mission and core values are manifested through initiatives that works in collaboration with its members, who makeup an expert, multidisciplinary network of organizations, designers and stakeholders.
While taking into account and celebrating institutional, cultural and social differences throughout the world, ico-D serves the worldwide community by:
- being an international non-partisan and non-governmental representative voice for design;
- representing the interests of professional designers in a responsible manner;
- defining and increasing awareness of professional standards and best practices governing design practice;
- advocating for design as an effective way of advancing the best interests of humanity and the environment;
- fostering recognition and respect of design by individuals and society at large (practitioners and clients included) as a valued and vital profession;
- facilitating knowledge management and exchange;
- facilitating cooperation amongst organisations of designers and allied institutions; and
- supporting the development of design education (practice, theory and research).